Blue badges

Recently the eligibility of who may get a Blue Badge (disabled parking permit) has changed; previously only those with a physical condition were eligible but this has been adjusted to now include mental health conditions such as anxiety, stress, mental health issues and conditions such as autism.

The basics of badge applications:

  • Badges are applied for through your local council. Click here to find your local council.
  • You are automatically eligible if you currently receive the higher mobility rate for PIP or DLAor if you received 10 points for description E under the ‘planning and following journeys’ activity due to journeys causing overwhelming psychological distress, on your PIP/DLA form
  • You do not need to be a driver to apply for a blue badge
  • Your badge should cost no more than £10 and can take up to three months to process (you can chase this up after six-eight weeks)
  • The application is usually done online but you can request a paper copy from some councils
  • If your application is unsuccessful the council must tell you why and you can apply for them to reconsider
  • Although ‘hidden disability’ is referred to, most councils will ask you to fill in the ‘walking’ application form as if that’s the activity your hidden disability is affecting and what makes you eligible for a blue badge
  • Some council websites can be hard to navigate but give them a ring and they will usually be happy to help

People who may get a blue badge:

  • You cannot walk at all, require assistance from someone else or use mobility aids
  • Walking is difficult due to pain, breathlessness or the time it takes
  • Walking is dangerous for your health and safety
  • You have severe disability in your arms, drive regularly and cannot operate a pay and display machine
  • You have a child under three with a medical condition which means they need to be near the vehicle or accompanied by bulky medical equipment
  • You are constantly a significant risk to yourself or others near vehicles, traffic or car parks
  • You struggle severely to plan or follow a journey
  • You find it impossible to control your actions and lack awareness of the impact of your actions on others
  • You regularly have intense and overwhelming responses to situations causing temporary loss of behaviour control
  • You frequently become extremely anxious or fearful of public/open spaces

How to apply and what you need:

  • Find your local council using the link above to get access to the forms
  • If you do not automatically qualify there will be an additional part of the form you will need to complete
  • You will need to provide extra information depending on your eligibility.If you cannot walk, find walking difficult or have a hidden condition, you will be asked to provide details of relevant medication, treatments you receive or are due to, healthcare professionals and associated professionals who are involved or have been involved with your treatment
  • Supporting documents, prescriptions, diagnosis letters and correspondence between medical professionals
  • If you cannot walk or find walking difficult, you will also be asked questions around how your condition affects your walking.
  • If you have a hidden condition you will be asked questions about how your journeys between your vehicle and destination are affected by your condition

Documentation required:

  • Proof of benefit (if automatically eligible)
  • Proof of address – recent council tax bill, recent letter from DWP or government department, driving license, recent letter from school for under 16s.
  • Proof of identity – passport, birth certificate, driving license, marriage or civil partnership certificate, divorce or dissolution certificate
  • Head and shoulder digital photo
  • National insurance number – if you have one
  • Contact details – phone number, email address and postal address


You can also contact citizens advice or GovUK for further information.